Choose an enrollment option:
This package contains three courses: Holistic Pathology, Part 1 (11 hours), Holistic Pathology, Part 2 (10 hours) and Ethics Related to Working with Ill or Injured Clients (4 hours).
Deepen your understanding of pathology, from a body/mind approach. Organized by body system, this program presents key concepts about how to recognize and confidently respond to soft tissue and movement therapy indications, precautions and contraindications for over 150 health conditions providing an excellent reference after the course has been completed.
With Holistic Pathology, Part 1, you will learn about:
- stress and the body/mind - mental and emotional health and illness, assessment, therapeutic action, research findings and case presentations
- common psychological defense mechanisms
- the immune and lymphatic systems - disorders, assessments, therapeutic action, clients with cancer, clients with edema, research findings and case presentations
- important aspects of the Center's for Disease Control's Standard Precautions for massage therapists
- immune-deficient conditions and hyperimmunity conditions
- the cardiopulmonary system - disorders, assessment, therapeutic action, indications, contraindications, research findings, case presentations
- appropriate actions in response to signs of a heart attack
- the nervous system - disorders, assessment, therapeutic action, indications, contraindications, research findings, case presentations
With Holistic Pathology, Part 2, you will learn about:
- the musculoskeletal system - disorders, assessment, therapeutic action, research findings, case presentations
- the integumentary system - disorders, assessment, therapeutic action, research findings, case presentations
- the ABCDs of malignant melamoma
- digestive and endocrine systems - disorders, assessment, therapeutic action, research findings, case presentations
- differences between hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia
- diabetic crisis
- genitourinary and genetic conditions - disorders, assessment, therapeutic actions relating to pregnancy including contraindications, research findings, case presentations
- supine hypotensive syndrome identification and prevention
- signs and symptoms of the different systems of the body that require referring the client out
- philosophical and practical aspects of working with persons who are seriously ill or injured - contraindications, Smith's bodywork modification model, working in specific healthcare environments
With Ethics Related to Working with Ill or Injured Clients, you will:
- define accountability, ethics, ethical dilemma, ethical dissonance, liability, consent, referral, transference, counter transference, confidentiality, and dual relationship,
- review common ethical considerations that relate to massage or bodywork practice,
- identify the body fluids that are most likely to transfer communicable diseases and the most important parts of the CDC’s Standard Precautions for massage therapists and bodyworkers, and
- learn common ethical dilemmas that occur when working with people in illness care environments and the strategies that can be used to reduce or cope with them.
This course contains 4 ethics hours in NCBTMB Standard I: Professionalism.
- Text - 568 pages
- Multiple choice tests - if you prefer to test online please select the "online test" option
- Certificate upon completion of each course - if you prefer to print your certificate at home instantly, please select the "online test" option
Display Certificates suitable for framing are available for $10 in addition to the certificate included with your tuition. Click here to order a Display Certificate.
The Institute is approved by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) as a continuing education Approved Provider. Approved Provider 049478-00.
Credits also accepted by the AMTA, ABMP and NAHA.
For information regarding your specific state massage license requirements and approvals, visit our Massage Therapy Continuing Education Requirements page by clicking here.