Many massage therapists question whether or not they should wear jewelry and many spas have strict rules about them doing so. Some do wear jewelry and take criticism while others feel jewelry must be avoided altogether. Most therapists, however, believe that so long as the jewelry does not interfere with the quality of the massage service, it is perfectly acceptable.
So first let us take a look at jewelry from a practical point of view: rings are certainly the most often restricted item in the massage room, and for good reasons. Rings not only can be felt by the client, evens scratching the client, but they create traps for bacteria, dead skin cells and oils. Rings should be removed when washing hands before and between massage sessions as well, to remove all bacteria and ensure proper hygiene.
Bracelets and Earrings
Bracelets are also kept out of the massage room for the same reason; they can be felt by the client, can scratch the client, and they also trap bacteria, oil and skin cells, if to a lesser degree. Earrings can be about 2” long before they simply become so big they become a distraction; many spas limit them to about 1” long.
Many massage therapists choose to wear necklaces. So long as they are not too big, distracting or long enough to touch the client when the therapist leans or bends over to work, they are generally okay. Necklaces are actually great for massage therapists to wear, because they can easily hold a good-sized crystal or gemstone, often employed to enhance energetic healing or protection. In fact, many massage therapists like to wear jewelry that balances their chakras or offers some energetic protection as they are continually working in and with the energy fields of others.
Working closely with clients hour after hour, day after day, week after week can begin to take its toll on the therapist’s energy field as those clients may have a wide array of issues that they bring in with them. Wearing necklaces with crystals or gemstones that may balance the chakras and provide energetic protection is one small way for the therapist to mitigate the negative energy they often find themselves exposed to.
Great Stones for All 7 Chakras
- The Root chakra is about feeling in control of your life, being grounded, financial and survival issues. Red or black stones are typically used for balancing this chakra. Stones like Garnet, Red Jasper, Smoky Quartz, Black Onyx, Fire Agate and Hematite are commonly used on the Root chakra.
- Our connection center is the Sacral chakra, where relationships originate and orange is the color associated with this chakra. The Sacral chakra can be balanced by wearing or using Citrine, Carnelian or Coral.
- The Solar Plexus chakra is all about our self-confidence, self-worth and our ability to handle situations that arise. The color for this chakra is yellow, so Citrine, Yellow Topaz, Yellow Sapphire and Pyrite can be used to balance this chakra.
- Our center for love in all relationships is the Heart chakra and it can be balanced with pink or green stones such as Rose Quartz, Jade or Green Tourmaline or Rhodonite.
- The Throat is all about communication, and the color is light blue. Turquoise, Aquamarine or Blue Lace Agate work well to balance the Throat chakra.
- Our energy center for visualization and creativity is the Brow or Third Eye chakra, and its color is indigo. Lapis Lazuli, Sodalite and Angelite work well on this chakra.
- The Crown chakra is the center of our mental acuity, but also of our connection to the universe. Purple or clear stones work well to balance the Crown chakra. Clear Quartz, Diamond, Amethyst and Moonstone work well to balance this center.
Stones for Protection
Black Obsidian and Black Onyx are commonly used for protection from negative energy. Quartz and Smoky Quartz are also especially useful. Quartz and Herkimer Diamonds are generally considered to be stones that aid in clearing emotions, energy and clarifying thought, while Smoky Quartz is used to clear and protect from negative energy. Topaz is similar to Quartz and acts the same way on the energetic level, too.
Jade and Jasper are considered to bring positive energy into your field while protecting from negative energy and emotions. Moonstone is great for transmutation of thick, negative energy and raising the vibration in your field.
The use of crystals and gemstones has been around for centuries. Both healing and spiritual traditions have used crystals as far back as the fourth millennium before Christ and they have been mentioned in the Vedic texts from India. The idea that crystals and gemstones come from the earth is why many people continue to feel that they provide protective energy that can positively impact the body’s natural energy field. While there is little scientific research and evidence to support the use of crystals and gemstones in healing, they nevertheless have a rich tradition of use in energy healing and various indigenous bodywork systems.